Pilates Adaptations for Scoliosis – Bangkok – Aug 2019
Pilates Adaptations for People with Scoliosis Supporting the Teachings of the Schroth Method
- When: 23, 24 & 25 August 2019
- Where: The Balance Physio Pilates – Bangkok (Thailand), Interchange Building – Asoke BTS Station
- Price: US$1,100.00
What is The Scoliosis Research Society?
The Scoliosis Research Society (SRS) is an international society that was founded in 1966 with 37 members. It has gained recognition as one of the world’s premier spine societies. The SRS has maintained a commitment to research and education in the field of spinal deformities. Strict membership criteria ensure that the individual Fellows support that commitment. Current membership includes more than 1,000 of the world’s leading spine surgeons, researchers, physician assistants and orthotists who are involved in research and treatment of spinal deformities.
* Important: This course for Polestar Pilates Certified will accumulate 24 CEC Points.
- Friday 23 of August: 9am to 6.30pm
- Saturday 24 of August: 9am to 6.30pm
- Sunday 25 of August: 9am to 5pm
The Scoliosis Research Society recognizes Physiotherapy Scoliosis Specific Exercise (PSSE) including the Schroth Method as a viable conservative approach to treating Idiopathic Scoliosis, adult degenerative scoliosis and hyper-kyphosis. The International Society on Scoliosis Orthopaedic and Rehabilitation Treatment (SOSORT) recommends that people with scoliosis remain active in the sport of their choice due to the psychological and neuromotor benefits of exercise and improvement in general organic well-being. Since there are no specific guidelines to help adults with scoliosis and hyperkyphosis choose safe fitness exercises, this 3-day course presents the theory and evidence supporting PSSE to help inform exercise recommendations for these adult populations.
Dynamic skills labs will focus on assessing the Pilates client with scoliosis and hyperkyphosis and on modifying Mat Pilates exercises. The Pilates teacher will understand how to collaborate with other health care professionals in order to develop a team approach for their client with scoliosis and hyperkyphosis.
Format: 1:4 Lecture:Lab
Course Objectives: By the end of this course the student will be able to
- Identify curve types and the forces that promote IS curve progression
- Understand forces promoting thoracic Kyphosis
- Provide an overall assessment of the Pilates client with IS and thoracic hyper-kyphosis to determine best exercise selection
- Improve breathing strategies for the client with IS and thoracic hyper-kyphosis
- Modify Pilates Mat exercises for the client with IS and thoracic hyper-kyphosis to support safe spinal alignment
- Understand how Mat modifications can transfer to Pilates apparatus exercises
- Understand scope of practice and how the PSSE/Schroth trained physical therapist and Pilates instructor can collaborate for the benefit of the client with scoliosis and thoracic hyper-kyphosis
Disclaimer: This course does not provide training in the Schroth Method and consequently does not authorise students to promote themselves as having training in the Schroth Method.
Hagit Berdishevsky, PT, MSPT, DPT, MDT Cert. Schroth-Barcelona Institute Educator
Lise Stolze, MPT, DSc, PMA®-CPT Schroth-Barcelona Certified Therapist Polestar Pilates Educator
- Pilates instructors
- PSSE/Schroth trained physical therapists
- Physical therapists
- Scoliosis patients using PSSE/Schroth Method